For Limited Companies the accounting year end of your Company is usually different to the personal tax year. The personal tax year is 6th April to 5th April (for the purposes of a set of Sole Trader or Partnerships accounts this is often rounded to 1 April to 31 March for simplicity – different dates… Read More

Updated April 2016 A question we are often asked is what items need to be included on a personal tax return so we have included below a list of typical tax return items that should be considered for your tax return (SA100). Typical Personal Tax Return items: Student loans Interest received from banks and building societies (excluding tax free… Read More

Does a Director need to do a personal tax return I am a Director of a Limited Company and am not in Self-Assessment – do I need to register with HMRC for Self-Assessment?   Update : Please be aware that there are changes to how dividends are taxed from April 2016 which changes this article… Read More

ARTICLE HAS NOW BEEN UPDATED FOR THE 14-15 TAX YEAR If you have a UK Student Loan balance that was taken out after August 1998 then HMRC is responsible for collecting the repayments. For the 2014-15 tax year (6th April 2014 to 5th April 2015) you will have to pay HMRC 9% of any of… Read More

Travel rules for the self-employed are a little different than for those who operate through a Limited company. We have outlined on our blog post HERE how to claim motor travel costs, but we must first of all be sure that the travel in question is an allowable expense. It is all about the ‘base of… Read More