I have recently started freelancing as a self employed digital designer. I haven’t told HMRC yet – what do I need to do to register with them and how do I pay my tax and national insurance? One of the first things you should do when starting a new self employed business is register with… Read More

I am a contractor operating through a limited company and am in the middle of applying for a mortgage and my mortgage broker has asked for my last 3 years SA302 forms, what is a SA302 form and how do I request it? What is a SA302 form? Your SA302 form is a summary of your income… Read More

Question: “I have recently started self-employment as a freelance copywriter. I expect to be earning roughly £30,000 per year with about £5,000 of expenses. Can you help me understand what a normal full years tax bill is likely to be and also any National Insurance I will need to pay. I don’t have any other… Read More

Allowable expenses for the self employed We thought it would be useful to go through some of the most common allowable expenses that you can claim when you are a self employed freelancer. This advice is for Sole Traders not Limited Companies. This guide does not cover every type of business expense, just the ones… Read More

Download our Free Invoice Templates One of the most important things you need to do when you are freelance / self-employed is to send your invoices to your clients in a timely manner and also to ensure the invoices are being raised correctly and consistently. To help you with your small business accounts we have… Read More